Monday, July 2, 2012

Week 13: Second verse, same as the first

First week of official marathon training was pretty uneventful; in fact, we ran the exact same schedule as last week. The weather was again hot and humid and I experienced a little bit of lower leg swelling and calf tightness after our weekday runs, which made me worried that my problems from last summer might be returning (my compartment syndrome/shin splints/stress reactions also happened in the middle of summer around the time I'd built up to 6 miles or so). However, as I have no shin splint pain nor the leaden, heavy feeling I had before, I think it is really due to the weather; the symptom reminded me more of the edema I got while 8 months pregnant in a house without A/C, but to a markedly lesser degree.

Accordingly, for our long run this week we were up with the birds at 615am, and while it was by no means cool, it was more tolerable and we finished the run with no swelling to be found. It is a curious thing to me that many of our shorter runs, while feeling easier on the one hand, also leave us with more aches and pains---we often find ourselves needing less recovery and feeling better after our longer runs. Maybe because we are keeping a slower pace, or perhaps because our weekday runs have left us feeling more warmed up? Whatever the reason, I'll take it.

Our weekly stats:

Tue 6/26    3.07 miles in 29:44 (had to do this one alone as C had a long day)

Wed  6/27   3.07 miles in 31:14 (this one was late, we didn't finish until after 9pm)

Thu  6/28   3.16 miles in 33:01

Sat  6/30  6.07 miles in 1:04:03 (threw in a couple of hills mile 4, it was a toughie!)

Total:  15.37 miles

Thanks for reading!

1 comment: