Monday, May 21, 2012

Week 7: Running gear

This week I'd like to talk a bit about gear. Running is supposed to be a cheap sport; after all, you really just need a pair of sneakers and you can begin. Heck, these days with the barefoot running craze, you don't even need shoes! It turns out, though, that there is plenty of stuff out there geared to runners, from clothes to shoes to hydration systems to phone apps...and I admit to having bought into some of the hype. Luckily most of what we've tried has been a benefit to our training and we've even discovered some new US companies to support as well.

Clothing: Ditch the cotton! Chris will still wear cotton socks, but I prefer socks and clothes with wicking properties so things don't get too soggy and heavy. Swiftwick makes their socks in the USA, and they also have a bit of compression built in to them which feels good on your tootsies. I also have a nice pair from SmartWool that are great. I like to wear unpadded bike shorts for running to cut down on chafing; Chris found some cool American-made retro-style running shorts from Soark.

Compression: This is just for me, as I was dealing with a good deal of calf soreness and trying to head off shin splints at the beginning of training. There is a school of thought that believes wearing compression garments can speed and promote muscle healing; some just wear such garments after running, some wear them while exercising. I have only worn them after, and in MY experience, they help. I have a pair of tall compression socks from Swiftwick, and also a lovely pair of lavender calf compression sleeves from Zensah (also US made). I was wearing them quite a bit, but lately haven't needed them as much, though I suspect that may change as we cover more distance in our long runs!

App: I use Runkeeper. It doesn't always pick up the GPS correctly but I don't think anything is 100% accurate anyway. If the GPS doesn't work, you can always plot your route afterwards. I know I could just wear a watch, but I like having my phone for emergencies. If you are looking for routes of a certain length in your area, Mapmyrun.com can also be helpful.

Hydration: We are training through the summer. I hate heat, and especially running in the heat. I get very flushed and my face turns purple and I need my water. So for Mother's Day I asked for this:


                                                                 Nathan Intensity Vest


It has pocketses for phones and ID and gels and wallets, plus it holds 2 liters of water. It is made for a woman's build (I think that means the clasps don't interfere with the chest area), very light, and stays put. I also want to add that I had a problem with the bladder that originally came with the vest--I could not remove the drinking hose from the bladder for cleaning purposes--but upon contacting the company with my issue, they promptly sent me a new bladder with a simpler hose detachment free of charge. I just love me some great customer service! Chris has a Camelback he likes, so between the two of us we should have enough water for those 20 milers to come.

I will have to save shoes for another post, as I have a lot to say on running form and different types of shoes (sad to say, much of it from personal experience). On to the weekly stats:

Tue 5/15   2.12 miles in 20:08  (rainy)

Wed 5/16   3.11 in 31:04 (incredibly windy and humid--there was a terrible thunderstorm to the north of us--we got the clouds and wind but no rain and I almost lost my hat on the bridge!)

Thu 5/17   2:06 in 20:46  (on trails)

Sat  5/19  3.12 in 30:15 (this was a fun race called the Anyway 5K--you could run, walk, bike, scooter, skate, or be pushed in a stroller--just nothing motorized. R finished 1st on his bike in 27 minutes flat, followed by runner B at 28:20 and runner G at 28:55. It was a gorgeous day, but warm and the course was quite hilly!)

Total: 10.41 miles

Thanks for reading!

1 comment: